“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!” - Ben Franklin
When it comes to Oktoberfest, Ben Franklin’s statement seems to be true! From the end of September through the first Sunday in October, beer drinkers and party goers across the globe know that Munich, Germany is the place to be. The annual Oktoberfest held on the fairgrounds of Theresa's Meadows is both the original and the largest of the festivals held at this time of year, and has been a staple of Bavarian culture since the inaugural celebration in 1810. Over 6 million visitors a year flock to Germany for beer, food, and games. On average, over 7.7 million liters of German Beer are poured and consumed during the celebration. For those that cannot make it to Munich, here is a link to all the local beer and Oktoberfest festivals in the area.
If you are looking for traditional German Food to go with your German beer, we recommend Riekers Prime Meats. You will enjoy the food, culture, and the people!
Before you drink those German beers and the year ends, here are some financial ideas or “hausputz,” German for house cleaning:
1. Open enrollment season- review 401k, flex spending accounts, employee life and disability insurance
2. Make retirement account contributions before December 31st
3. Weather proof your home to save money on your heating bill
4. Create a holiday account to avoid over spending on gifts
5. Review your financial plan in fall with a financial advisor